Ayurvedic Golden Milk (with Vegan Alternative)
Traditional Ayurveda Golden Milk
Traditional Golden Milk is regarded as one of the most healing beverages and essential part of an Ayurvedic lifestyle.
Health Benefits of Traditional Golden Milk*
- Strengthens digestion
- Increases intestinal flora
- Blood thinner and purifier
- Stimulates formation of healthy tissue
- Strengthens immune system by boosting the lymphatic and endocrine system
- Strengthens metabolism
- Maintains proper blood sugar
- Improves circulation
- Balance all doshas
Health Considerations of Traditional Golden Milk
- Pregnant or Nursing Mothers: Talk to your health care provider before incorporating Golden Milk into your health routine
- Blood pressure medication or blood thinners: Consult your health care provider before taking Golden Milk if you are on BP medication or Blood Thinning medications
- Diabetes: The Vegan alternative to golden milk may not be suitable for individuals with diabetes as it may spike blood sugar levels. Please consult your practitioner or nutritionist before adding golden milk to your diet.
Servings: This recipe makes 1 (One) serving of Golden Milk
Traditional Golden Milk
1/4 cup and 1 tbsp non-homogenized, organic whole milk
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
1/8 cup and 1 tbsp cashew milk
1/8 cup almond milk
1 tbsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp sunflower oil
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
Combine the ghee, ground turmeric, and the tbsp. of milk in a pot (or small bowl) and mix until it is a well incorporated paste. Place the pot on the heat on a low/medium flame and stir the paste until the ghee has just melted (or the oil has been warmed through).
Add the fresh ground cracked pepper and milk; mix to incorporate the turmeric paste and break up any clumps that may have formed. Let the milk simmer on low for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you would like a little sweetness to the Golden Milk, stir in sweetner of choice to taste (note that this can alter some of the benefits of Golden Milk).
Pour into a cup, mug, or drinking vessel of choice and consume immediately. Golden milk is best consumed fresh and warm; before bedtime or after a physical workout. One can drink Golden Milk as often as once a day.
**Vegan Considerations: This recipe has been modified for people with ethical or medical dietary restrictions. The changes in the ingredients also change some of the overall properties of the Golden Milk. The Vegan version will not be as potent and may not be as strong as a tonic as the original version. If you are seeking a vegan version because of lactose intolerance and are comfortable consuming food derived from animals, replace the 2 tbsp of sunflower oil with 1 tbsp of ghee as this will bring the healing qualities of turmeric and black pepper deeper into the mind and body. Vegan Golden Milk is not suitable for individuals with diabetes, as cashews and almonds spike blood sugar, or individuals taking blood thinners. Consult your doctor or practitioner about the risks and benefits of drinking nut milks while pregnant or nursing. Vegan Golden Milk should not be consumed more than 3 times a week unless the individual leads an active lifestyle.